Tuesday, November 29, 2016

11A: Reflections on Last Class

In this post I'm going to focus specifically on our in-class reference activity/skit/game. I played the determined and slightly overwhelmed patron who had come to Heather and Ben with questions about poverty levels in the U.S., India, China, and Mexico. I wanted to know the poverty rate in each country, but also to understand what that rate "meant" -- how it was calculated, how those calculations varied between countries, and ultimately how I would explain this all to a teacher/professor who would press me on the details (this was my own dramatization of the prompt, as I felt these details would be especially appropriate for the kind of class in which students are always terrified of being asked to justify their answers for fear of very intent/probing follow-up questions.)

I appreciated how Heather recognized that she might not have the entire picture w/r/t my intentions, and that I might not really know what I'm asking for, but kept deepening our conversation through a number of methods:

  • Asking a mixture of open-ended and clarifying questions "Would you say you're more interested in these data or would like to find more sources?" "What were the instructions you received from your teacher?""What do you think about using this type of statistic?"
  • Not expressing frustration when things became more complicated or ambiguous, but rather communicating verbally and non-verbally that she was continuing to investigate with me and was invested in learning the outcome with me.
  • At a few points I didn't know how to answer a follow-up question because it fell out of the prompt given and I couldn't come up with an answer quickly enough (I did invent the "my teacher is going to grill me on this data" angle but didn't invent a specific assignment, for example). In those moments I felt genuinely flustered, and I appreciated that Heather again made some space for me to process my thoughts and didn't overly press her line of questions, but rather looped back and tried other ways to get at the information.
This experience really reiterated our focus on the class on compassion, strong non-verbal cueing, careful selection of questions and more broadly questioning strategies, and the importance of "geeking out together" as an ethic. 

It will be interesting to see how the types of questions that students bring to librarians will shift over time as the amount and complexity of digital information increases. If, as Alyssa and others mentioned, we continue to enter this kind of post-truth moment where information is contested and information literacy skills do not keep up with the increasing importance of digital information, librarians may have to field even more complex versions of these back-and-forths over the meaning and context behind statistics and other data. What might those trends look like in light of future employment trends like computer/robotic automation and the increasing specialization and complexity of tech jobs? How can librarians, as some of the folks on the front line of digital information literacy shifts, pass along their insights and experiences to educators and others who can teach the necessary skills, or should librarians demand more opportunities for information literacy instruction as we've discussed? 

Also: is there something particular going on in our society today with regard to over-reliance on statistics and predictive modeling versus other kinds of research and data? What role might librarians have in helping communities and learners seek wisdom and clarity in the questions asked of data and digital systems? I've been thinking about this "how do we ask the right questions and use information and digital resources with wisdom and clarity of purpose" issue -- I intuitively feel librarians can play a huge role through these kinds of front-line conversations with patrons and students, but I'm still learning what that might look like day-to-day in our professional lives.

3 comments:

  1. Won't lie, I was looking forward to reading this post because I was hoping you would provide me with some feedback for how Ben and I handled your reference question. I was particularly happy to see "Not expressing frustration when things became more complicated or ambiguous" because sometimes I can be a bit short tempered and impatient (I know because I've had to apologize to my 501 team a couple times this semester). However, I think part of my ability to handle what was sure to be a slightly frustrating reference question was aided by the fact that we were in class--I didn't have other students in line or other work begging for attention. It will be important to find this kind of focus/zen when working in the real world. We are there to help patrons and they deserve our full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How can librarians, as some of the folks on the front line of digital information literacy shifts, pass along their insights and experiences to educators and others who can teach the necessary skills, or should librarians demand more opportunities for information literacy instruction as we've discussed? "

    This got me thinking back to the beginning of the semester where some of our readings talked about the different approaches/models of reference librarianship. Namely, taking a more indirect approach and prioritizing instructive/teaching a patron how to find the information themselves, vs. taking a more maximal approach and prioritizing doing the labor ourselves and giving the patron specific answers/information. I think your question kind of gets back to that with parsing out what specific professional model we adopt as a librarian (or as a library institution). Knowing what you want to priories and what kind of approach you want to take to your service really helps inform what types of programming you'll advocate for in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It will be interesting to see how the types of questions that students bring to librarians will shift over time as the amount and complexity of digital information increases."

    I agree. I would like to see how this may end up as well, as of right now, I think libraries are doing okay in providing virtual reference services but it's not something that I think we have perfected yet and that may not be our fault! I think it is just the nature of the virtual realm. There are aspects of physical interaction that we miss out on in the virtual world. There are things that can be done, like cobrowsing, screensharing and maybe video conferencing again? But will these methods be sufficient enough? Could they ever surpass an in-person reference interaction? Those are questions sparked by your posting. Thanks for a good read as always.

    ReplyDelete