Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Blog Post 4B: Reading Reflections

How can librarians, and in particular academic librarians, engage students as whole people?  By charting out roughly what we might expect a student/researcher/patron/human to be experiencing at different parts of their research process, Kulthau's "Initial Model of the Information process" helps us to construct better mental models of student behavior and hopefully provide something they will find actually helpful and supportive.

I find it fascinating that, while researchers have appeared to been working on these deeper models of the student experience with research for decades, the actual research process is so rarely taught in terms of an emotional process or even a process with distinct stages. As an undergrad at a small liberal arts school, I feel like the research process behind papers was often only discussed on the level of the output - the essay, the works cited section - and not framed in the sense of an investigation with stages. It wasn't until I started working as a research assistant in 2013 that I realized there was a specific process I could use for carrying out a lit review for example, and not just freewheeling between a list of references I had taken out from my library (and probably had overdue fines on...) I never felt like I could come to the library for that problem, as I felt like I should have been able to figure it out and that the angst of battling a lack of structure was just part of the process.. but in retrospect, it would have been nice to have the consistent support of a librarian in my field who I could consult or check in with as I worked on projects. That also evokes to me a feeling I associate with my favorite library as a kid: the tiny East Branch library in Lexington, MA, where a librarian with bright hair would kind of check in now and then about my books and ask me about my hobby progress (I was really into video games and model rockets), but otherwise let me just browse and read alone. That sense of continuity and community meant a lot to me at that time, and while the needs of an undergrad are likely different, I feel like there's a way academic reference could offer that, too.

This definitely makes me think of our discussion in class about reference librarians now working primarily in instruction units -- but I also wonder, in general, how much communication happens between the different entities responsible for undergrad student learning? Given that the role of reference will likely continue to shift with technology and other changes, as outlined in Janes' essay, how might librarians end up playing a larger or smaller role in the lives of students, and what does that mean in the context of longer-term shifts in higher ed? I have vague guesses, but I'd love to learn more about some of those questions of whole student learning/undergrad-level research education -- after hearing about student experiences in public libraries last class, I'm curious to learn more from folks who work in academic libraries and what they think about these shifts!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely can relate to having sort of an "Aha!" moment when I realized that there are prescribed ways of conducting research and conducting literature reviews. Like, why wasn't I taught this sooner? It is so much better than just muddling through on my own.

    I also can relate to the angst you felt of not knowing how to proceed and not wanting to consult a librarian because it feels like a failure to not be able to figure it out on my own. Reading Kulthau's description of the emotional process was really reassuring for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that my undergrad experience was also limited to an "output" focused model of research. Our exposure to libraries and librarian services often was a class period workshop (sometimes less) maybe twice throughout my whole 4 years? In retrospect, I wonder if it would have been much more useful (but maybe not logistically possible) for undergrads to have a full class with a librarian - like a 4 week or half-semester course when they are transitioning into their upper-level classes especially. So many students don't think of the library as a resource or a place they can ask questions or get research instruction, perhaps more integrated exposure in their curriculum would help reinforce that the library is a place for research, help and learning - not just a building to study in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pose some thought-provoking questions about the relationship between academic librarians and college students. Through other courses and my general experience at the university so far, I have seen that there is a disconnect between student awareness of library services, but I would bet that the disconnect goes both ways, with the library not being aware of how or what to do to connect with undergraduate students. This includes connected with them on a holistic way. To be honest, I think part of this issue lies in the approach and expectations both parties have when interacting with each other. Some how or some way, new expectations and approaches to providing library services ( particularly reference services) needs to be explored on the library end...and maybe once those have been solidified, patrons will be able to update their expectations and approaches to librarians.

    ReplyDelete