Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Hello!

Hi! My name is Zoë and I'm starting at UMSI this fall in the MSI program (LIS + SC concentrations, although this may soon change!) I love cats and dogs and board games and pinball and various shades of geeking out. In terms of my professional goals, I'm excited about helping diverse community members make progress towards their goals through technology, whether that means supporting queer & trans online peer communities (I'm working on a research project on this topic!), improving assistive technology, or answering technology reference questions for adult learners. I find it really important to work and enact change in the context of community, and I'm looking forward to exploring how I can do so within a college/university library or student services setting. These interests are all kind of rough sketches however -- I'm still figuring things out.

More about me: I was born in the Chicago area but mostly grew up in Lexington, Massachusetts (just outside of Boston/Cambridge). I lived in the Twin Cities in Minnesota for six years -- I first studied anthropology at Macalester College and then worked at a bustling, loud, lovely public library in Saint Paul. I ended up there via the Community Technology Empowerment Project, and I owe a lot of my focus as an adult to that wonderful AmeriCorps program. I moved back to Boston to work in Internet research and then again to Seattle to work in an academic library as a technology assistant before finally getting here to Ann Arbor in 2016. I hope to make it back to New England (ideally Western Mass/Pioneer Valley) and work for a liberal arts or community college.

I love spicy food, mountains and woods, feminist sci-fi, tasty coffee, and in general a lot of introvert pursuits. Oh, and I adopted a kitty recently from the Humane Society of Huron Valley's cat cafe. Jane is the absolute cutest -- she plays fetch! She makes weird adorable chirping noises!

Jane being a sweetheart


I think that's it ^_^

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to 647! I really enjoyed reading about that path that brought you hear and look forward to hearing more about your digital pathways project. Additionally, I always like hearing about what's going on at St. Paul Public!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice introduction post, Zoe. My favorite author - Marlon James - is a professor at Macalester College. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading -- and Marlon is great!! I was super fortunate in taking creative nonfiction with him, and in retrospect wish I had taken waaaay better notes (two of my favorite Marlon writing things: in writing you should strive for "not confession, but revelation" and when you find yourself getting too attached to a turn of phrase/sentence/anything, that's the moment where you should immediately "shoot your darlings")

      Delete
  3. Hi Zoe (and Jane), welcome to Ann Arbor! If you haven't checked out Mighty Good Coffee yet, you should. Probably my favorite coffee place in town.

    Thanks for the book suggestion. I just requested Ancillary Justice from the library (it is currently checked out so I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks).

    PS: This is UMSI adventure. Blogger and Wordpress won't play nicely. Can you open your comment section up so I can comment without an account (Settings > Posts, comments, and sharing)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather!! Yayyy please tell me what you think of Ancillary Justice -- the first 100 pages or so are kind of weird and hard to relate to, but I really fell in love once the book settled into its groove.

      Also thanks for the feedback re: comments -- I think I successfully made them public comments. Here's hoping spambots don't care that much about my rambly library feels :-p

      Delete
  4. Also Mighty Good is sooooo tasty. I've been going to the coffee shop above Literati mostly but I want to change it up, I think more Mighty Good excursions are in order. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete